I’m pregnant, 5’2 and 202 pounds can Is it healthy to lose about 50 pounds while pregnant?

• LizB

If you eat a nutritious whole foods diet while mostly eliminating unhealthy foods (processed sugar and grains, fake fats like vegetable oil, and most fried foods), then you will likely lose weight naturally while baby continues to grow and get everything he/she needs. But you should NOT attempt to create large calorie deficits while pregnant, because that can deprive baby of needed nutrients as well as jeopardize your own health (because baby will take whatever it needs from your own body, running the risk of making you nutrient deficient). 

In other words, you should not attempt to lose weight intentionally while pregnant. But if it happens as the result of improved lifestyle habits, then as long as baby is growing as expected your OB/midwife will likely not be concerned. And if you continue those healthy lifestyle changes through breastfeeding, you may continue to lose weight as breastfeeding itself burns 500-600 calories a day.

That's really a question for your ob/gyn.  Your main goals now need to be eating the healthiest possible diet to ensure your child is healthy.  A woman who is morbidly obese is at serious risk of pregnancy complications and the child is also at risk.  

Your doctor may feel putting you a weight loss diet is safe and advisable.  Ask.  

But your baby is growing inside you. How do you know whether you are losing weight or your baby not gaining weight? 

When I became pregnant - I was also slightly over 200 lbs.  I changed eating habits and picked up much better habits.  I didn't really restricted my diet in any way and ALWAYS ate until I felt satisfied - but I had cut out all the junk, sugar, salt, and caffeine from my diet as much as possible and was getting all food from vegetables, fruits, and meat - usually cooked at home.  I lost about 25 to 30 pounds before gaining back about 10 pounds in the last trimester.  The baby weighed 7 lbs 13 oz and was perfectly healthy.  I did almost the same thing with my second baby (since I hadn't completely kept all the weight off - I started the pregnancy at about 200 lbs again - keeping it off afterward is part of the real issue - don't return to bad habits like I did)  - anyway - second pregnancy was almost the same pattern.  I lost almost 35 pounds before gaining back about 12 in the last trimester and had a baby that was 8 lbs 6 oz and also perfectly healthy.

I think 50 pounds might be a large goal to achieve.  During the last trimester the baby will start putting on weight quickly - so remember that during the last trimester - any weight gain you see is mostly baby and fluids.

Whatever you drop before the baby starts gaining in the last trimester will usually be the amount lost after the pregnancy is done.  (so in my case, the 25 pounds lost before I started gaining was my new weight a few days after the birth of the baby.  I weighed about 25 pounds less than when I first became pregnant.)  

It can be, if you're careful.

Make sure you follow your doctor's advice while attempting it.