How to sue a company?

I have self harm, suicidal cuts on my wrist.  One person saw it and it spread like wild fire.  About 200 people know.  Everyday they stare at me with fear and aggression.  Once they found out I knew they were more fearful and disrespectful towards me.  I’m stressed out and the thoughts of suicide keep coming back.  I am an outside contractor, not an employee.  How can I sue them?

The company did nothing wrong unless there was medical information that you had given to the company and that it shared.  If other people just saw it and gossiped, there's nothing that you can do.

• L

You can NOT sue the company because the company did NOT disrespect you - employees did.  Since you are a contractor............find someone else to work for and do NOT tell them about your self-harm tendancies.

You can't sue people for looking at you funny. But get into the talk therapy you so desperately need and your mental health provider will let you know if you require more than just that. 

Are you kidding?  Sue for starring at you?  For being disrespectful to you or fearful of you?  They can do all of that and more, LEGALLY.  Ignore it.  If it is because of your crazy behavior, it is just something you will have to put up with.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience & with Employment law experience.
  • Clive

You can't.  Nobody has done anything against you that is grounds for legal action.

Sue for what?  Based on your story, they didn't DO anything.

You sue "them" for defamation.  Here is something I wrote for someone else:  "In general defamation is a false statement to a third person, in print (or images).

.

Slander is a false statement to a third person in “words.” Gossip falls into this category.

.

.Libel is also defamation if words or images are involved - not spoken. 

.

Printed words or images are necessary in a claim to prove slander and libel.

.

For either definition to be applicable the statement must be largely (not 100%) false.

.

However, “public disclosure of private facts” is also actionable. This also includes invasion of privacy, intentional infliction of emotional distress, misleading statements - not 100% false but definitely misleading.

.

Depending on location these can be civil or criminal matters.

.

In order to win a lawsuit the Plaintiff (the person slandered, libeled) has to meet proofs: he/she was injured by the statement (usually financial loss or loss of status), the statement(s) is(are) untrue, if the person who expressed the slander/libel had checked they would have known it was not true. In some cases the Plaintiff must prove that the statement was made to cause intentional harm, that the person who made the statements knew they would cause harm.

.

There are several ways a person must go about proving that libel has taken place. For example, in the United States, the person must prove that the statement was false, caused harm, and was made without adequate research into the truthfulness of the statement. These steps are for an ordinary citizen. "

I am not reading that any of these conditions apply.  If you have self harm scars and people see them and tell other people you have self harm scars, that is NOT a lie.

You can't, you have nothing to sue them for.

Step one:  Find and attorney and pay their retainer.

Step two:  Do what they say

• xyzzy

You can't. The company did nothing that caused your discomfort.