Are there slow worms or other legless lizards where you live?

Do they cause you discomfort?

Where I live, people don't kill slow worms because they believe slow worms feed on baby snakes. True or not, I often see slow worms in my garden and not a single snake so far, although terrain is good for local vipers.

I live in California.  I've seen California legless lizards here.  There might not be any in my yard this year;  I suspect skunks and opossums hear them and dig them up.

They cause me discomfort in two ways:

When I was a kid I picked one up and it bit me.  Ouch.

A couple of years back I was digging around in my garden and I accidentally cut one in half.  Ewww.

Supposedly slow worms live in my general area but I've never come across one.  I do a fair bit of conservation volunteering and have a pretty sharp eye for wildlife.  I've only ever seen one irl once in my life in Suffolk almost 20 years ago.  I can't say that I was discomfitted. 

There are legless lizards in California, but I have yet been lucky enough to find one to add to my lifetime list of species I have found in the wild.  They spend most of the time underground. Legless lizards eat insects, not snakes. i do not kill animals that eat snakes and in fact one of my most favorite kind of snakes, the California king snake, is a snake eater.