Nick asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

My landlords driveway it’s terrible and ruining our cars what should I do ?

Long story short my landlords driveway is absolutely terrible and is ruining the underneath of my car, funny thing is my landlord is actually my cousin. He knows how bad the driveway is but has yet to do anything about it. I’ve only lived here for a couple weeks and my car looks insane. What should I do? Ask for my $1200 security deposit back to pay for the damages of my car? Should I make him pay? I’ve been playing the nice guy card thus far and I’ve had enough. 

Gather your PROOF that his driveway is 100% unsafe at any speed and then sue him in Small Claims Court for any damages.  Keep in mind that YOU are obligated to drive in accordance with conditions.

I drive a low sports car.  If I pull into a driveway and rip off the undercarriage, that is MY problem because, obviously, I was being careless.

maybe you should move out

I don't know that you have any legal recourse. The condition of the driveway was apparent when you rented the place. You are not obligated to use it but could park elsewhere, even if you had to pay to do so. By choosing to use a driveway that bangs the snot out of your car, you're partly to blame for the damage.

Got a lease with your cousin? Read it. What obligations does he have about maintaining the driveway? None? Then he has no obligation to improve it or pay for your damage. It's not part of your security deposit. That's to protect *his* property from *your* damage, not the other way around.

I suspect you and he need to sit down and talk about this and seek a solution. Is he willing to bring in a load of gravel if you spread it?