Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 4 weeks ago

What would happen if someone in court flat out told the judge they have no remorse and the crime was justified?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Possibly contempt of court on top of whatever sentence the person is already facing. 

• 4 weeks ago

I think it depends on the situation.

In matters of self defense where a teenager attacked you with a weapon so you protect yourself by shoving them to the ground and you’re tried for harming a minor, I’m sure you can say you have no regrets openly in court if you can prove you were defending yourself.

But say you only struck the kid because they were aggravating you or only being mouthy while not becoming a visible threat to your safety, then you’d be in trouble. 

• 4 weeks ago

The judge would probably give the person the maximum allowable sentence

• User
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Insufficient information.

Example #1: Bill murders Jill in cold blood. Bill says he did it because Jill was getting on his nerves with her constant nagging.

Judge throws the book at him.

Example #2: Bill shoots Jill and she dies. Jill was trying to kill Bill at the time. Bill's lawyer can prove it (there were witnesses). Bill claims that the crime was justifiable and that he would do it again under the same circumstances.

etc.

SO: it depends on ALL of the circumstances of the charged crime. Some crimes can be ruled justified in court (i.e. no sentence).

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

depends on what the judge decides to do

• 4 weeks ago

When Officer Rolfe in Atlanta shot Rayshard Brooks it was justifiable and he should have no remorse.   

• 4 weeks ago

They would most likely be convicted as that is essentially a confession. 

• 4 weeks ago

They'd be found to be guilty, of course, and the next step would be the sentencing.

• Anonymous
    4 weeks ago

that would seem to me like a confession ...........................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.