Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsZoology · 3 months ago

what kind of snake is this?

found em just at sunset (was just bright enough to see him, but too dark to not need flash) walkin down a dirt road in Brighton Colorado, he is about a foot and a half long, and after he noticed i saw him, he posed head erect wound up almost as is in pic but my flash freaked it out and rolled up all weird and hid his head just long enough for me to get close enough to take this pic

• Kenny

I was thinking hog nose snake .  Massasauga is venomous and always seem ready to strike instead of hiding it's head .  Be very careful here . A hognose has round pupils and the rattler has slit pupils and a rattle . Look here 

• joe

hard to tell without being able to see its head but the side markings and especially the way the tail tapers, look like a Massasauga Rattler

the Youtube link i provided features one in a very similar defensive posture, complete with rattle displayed and used horizontally as opposed to the iconic 'vertical' shaking position

picture credit: wikipedia 'Massasauga Rattlesnake' species picture

Looks like a Western Diamondback Rattlesnake.