Why cant I connect to the internet?

I found an old pc in my stepdads house, and wanted to hook it up. I went to connect it to my wifi, but I dont think I have the option to do it wirelessly. Is there something I can do?

You would need to buy a Wi-Fi card that supports XP or connect it to the router via ethernet. Either way, using XP online nowadays is a security risk.

• David

The internet doesn't want you.

• D1218

Bad connection where the internet won't successfully go through. Could be anything.

1. Error

2. Weather.

3. Bad router.

Because you didn't pay your bill. Start there.

• keerok

Does it have wireless capability? If yes, then set network to everything Automatic. If none, does it have USB ports? Buy and install a USB Wifi dongle. No USB? Buy and install a wireless LAN card.

Chances are you need an internet card, but first go through the process of elimination.

1) Plug the computer into the modem. Does internet work then? If so then yes it's the internet card (technically called network adapter).

2) The computer might not have a wireless internet card, or the card might just need to be reset. So first Google how to reset network adapter for version of Windows you're using, try that.

3) If resetting network adapter doesn't work, the computer is old enough to not even have a wireless card, or it might have one that's broken.

4) Your options for internet card is determined by the motherboard. That's the hardware that stuff like memory, hard drives and CPU get plugged into to connect all the hardware together. To find out what motherboard you have (in Windows 7 or older), go to START; ACCESSORIES; SYSTEM TOOLS; SYSTEM INFORMATION. What it says for SYSTEM MANUFACTURER is the motherboard. Sometimes it can't recognize motherboard there though, so alternative is opening up computer case and looking for label on the piece of hardware that everything's plugged into. Chances are it'll be an ASUS product.

5) Once you identify what motherboard you have, Google for internet cards that are compatible with it. Internet cards are amongst the easiest hardware to install, just have to push it into slot on motherboard for it and put the screws in to hold it. And install driver. The slot for internet card will be right at the back of the motherboard. An easy way to tell where the internet card goes is that the back of the computer case should have open spots for internet card antennas to come out. Spot on motherboard for installing internet card should be right by there.

Should warn you though, if the computer's old enough then you could be wasting your time and money. There's stuff like how network bands got upgraded from 802.11g to 802.11ac. Modem will say which one you have. The newer modems are designed to be compatible with internet cards designed for older network bands, but they still sometimes have issues with randomly disconnecting frequently.

Your system does not come with wifi capabilities. The easy fix for it is to use an Ethernet cable and plug it into the router/modem and the spot on the back of the computer. Reboot both the router/modem and computer so that your system can get an IP address.

You can buy on amazon USB wifi adpter.Look link below

• John

Don't waste the time. You can get the internet hooked up but XP only runs Explorer 6 or 7 or something and no recent Chrome will install at all.

So when you get online none of the modern pages will work. The mail servers won't work, nothing will work or not by much. The old browsers aren't supported anymore.

I know this because I fiddled with my old XP laptop for far too long until I just gave it up.

• Brian

You have to use wires to connect into the internet.