2019 Tax Refund question?

I e-filed my 2019 Tax return Jan. 29th and it was accepted by the IRS the next day. 

Towards the end of February I received a notice that my refund was approved but being held until I filed my 2017 tax return, which I then mailed it with certified mail and they received it on March 6th. 

I know COVID happened and is the reason for the delay. But it is now July 7th and my tax transcripts show they have not even looked at my mail or shows they recieved it. Every time I call I get the same answer, which is wait another 30 days because they do not even know whats going on. 

The only thing that is keeping me from getting my 2019 refund is them processing my 2017 return which has been sitting in a mail room for a little over 4 months now.

What options do I have or am I just stuck waiting on this issue to just eventually settle its self out with time? I've tried calling the TAC and they cant do anything about it.

Thanks for any and all answers/advice.

• RICK

Those that filed paper returns have been put on indefinite  hold.

1) First they were delayed because IRS sent people home due to virus

2) Then they were delayed because IRS was busy sending out stimulus  money

Supposedly  they are processing  paper returns again, but if another round of stimulus money is Okd by Congress processing will be delayed until October 

If you file a prior year return, they NEVER actually process the return before current year returns. At this time of year, they would still be opening returns mailed April 15 in a normal year. If your 2017 return is processed by the end of this year, they are doing better than you should expect.

You are stuck waiting.  Since you failed to file when you were supposed to, your return is at the end of the line.  Also, if there were other years where you failed to file, you will need to file for those too.

There are no options for getting faster processing of a return that was sent by mail.

If you can still send the 2017 return electronically, do that.  Otherwise, you'll just have to wait.

• NA

The IRS has stored 10,000,000 pieces of mail in order of receipt, using tractor trailers and warehouses to handle the overflow.  They will get to yours eventually.

Your options are to wait.

The IRS suspended processing paper returns with the COVID outbreak.   They are processing now, but there is a huge backlog.

You couldn't bother to file your 2017 tax return until it was two years late so don't expect anyone to treat it like it's more important than you did.

If you don't want to wait for a refund, don't overpay your taxes.  Or just plan on applying the overpayment to your next year's tax bill.

You have two options:

Option 1)  Wait;

Option 2)  There is no Option 2.  Please refer to Option 1.

The IRS suspended processing paper tax returns in mid-March due to the virus lock down.  It is likely your 2017 return got caught in the situation.