Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsBiology · 4 weeks ago

I have XY chromosomes. Am I still a woman?

I have and was born with a vagina. But more recently I had my chromosomes tested and they're XY which are male chromosomes... so I'm genetically male??? 

• Amy

genetically male

anatomically female (or intersex, if that was what prompted you to get tested)

gender whatever your brain feels like it is

Female is the default anatomy that a human fetus develops into if it doesn't get a certain hormone from the Y chromosome. You may have a defect in that hormone or its receptor.

• Jim

Sexuality and gender are both on a spectrum for everyone, some more so than others.Just be who you are and don't think about anybody's checkbox for you.

I have a large number of countries in my nationality (around 45 countries) including 4 from Africa. What nationality and I? Who knows, who cares.

Gender isn't related to chromosomes or sex. The only person who can tell if you're a woman is you. 

If you have a vagina and XY chromosomes, you're intersex. There's no one gender connected to being intersex. 

Assuming you're not a troll, which is the vastly more likely explanation, there are two main ways this can happen. The first is that you inherited a Y chromosome that did not have a functional SRY gene on it, either lost through some sort of abnormal chromosomal rearrangement or mutated and nonfunctional. The SRY gene is the main maleness switch, so its lack leads to female development. The second is a condition called androgen insensitivity, where a mutation in another gene means your body is unable to respond to the "turn into a male" signal produced by the Y chromosome.

Either condition results in a mostly normal female phenotype, though sometimes reproductive development is compromised.

Are you sure that you are XY and not XXY? Or that the person running the test was competent?

• Zirp

Great question. I guess it depends on what other " plumbing"  you have. If you have ovaries and a uterus,  you are female.

So do you have Swyers syndrome or androgene insensitivity?

The vagina trumps the XY chromosomes.

Only the Y is male, which you'd be absolutely crystal clear on if you were telling the truth.