Would a home inspection service or a general contractor be better at determining what home repairs are needed and prioritizing them?

I inherited a 123-year-old house that has extensive deferred maintenance. I've been driving myself crazy trying to get contractors here to look at jobs like masonry work, exterior painting, drywall, roofing, floors, windows and mold remediation. Very few have returned my inquiries. Asking people I know what to do resulted in advice all over the place. HELP!

an experienced home inspector will give good advice on this ... call several and ask what their background in home construction and remodeling is.  btw -- the two critical items, imho and after 68 years on the planet, are the foundation that holds everything up and the roof that keeps it dry.  after that, you worry about the electrical and plumbing, plus physical security

Home inspection service.

• Edwena

You should be able to find an architect that does house restoration.  You can talk to them and get their price for providing the restoration services.  This is not the contractor.  The architect will give the scope and drawing to the contractor and inspect the work. You are trying to get high price information for cheap, and that is why it is difficult.  Just be sure the architect is qualified, which will be a problem.  

• ?

It is the individual, not the label, that makes the difference. It really is luck, whom one ends up with. Personal references are best but even then, things change in life and a once really good responsible person, can fall off the rails. If you don't have personal knowledge from friends and such, then try talking to local business/organizations.See if any of them have suggestions. If not, home advisor and angies list, places like that may give you a lead.  I used one of them when selling my dads place a few years back. 2 hits and a miss was the total.