james asked in PetsDogs · 4 weeks ago

What is the best food for dogs?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Dry dog food helps keep teeth healthy.  Grain free if dog is allergic to regular dog food.  Usually the wheat in cheap dog food.  If dog is not allergic to any of the grains, Pedigree is a good food but it does have grains but my dogs are not allergic to any of the grains.  Grains are just fillers & are harmless unless the dog is allergic to them.

When you stop to think about all the foods we eat with fillers, there is a lot.  Even ground beef has fillers, that yucky pink slime.

• 4 weeks ago

Fresh caught raw is imho

• 4 weeks ago

raw, but you have to do it right

• Jojo
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

There IS no BEST food. What food suits one dog may not suit another.

Its trial and error really.

If a dogs stools are firm with no mucous in it and the dogs coat is shiny and it has sweet breath, and has good energy levels, then what its eating is probably suiting the dog just fine.

Dogs are by nature, scavengers and over thousands of years have been fed on all sorts of different food stuff including table scraps etc. Their digestive system has evolved to cope with most foodstuff. 

Not so long ago in the 1950`s, all dogs, including puppies were fed similarly on winalot biscuit meal and Chappie or Pal canned food with table scraps and `off cuts` of meat from the local Butchers. Believe me, when I tell you that allergies in dogs were almost unheard of ,and dogs lived just as long and probably with less health problems than dogs of today. 

All this concern over what dogs should and should not eat for the best is something that has cropped up in the last 20 or so years and played on by the manufacturers of complete dog foodstuff to try and get customers to buy THEIR product. Fancy and unnecessary ingredients added to impress the buyer, which are a big cause of allergies in dogs. 

What and what not to feed dogs is a very controversial issue on dog forums and not everyone is in agreement. 

I base MY opinion on what has worked for me and MY dogs for 57 years of dog ownership and no problems in the dogs related to what they have been fed on. 

I`m sure everyone else does the same. 

🤔

Source(s): GSD owner for 57 years. UK.
  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    4 weeks ago

Best is a raw/bone or prey model, however that means you have to do the right research to ensure the dog gets the balanced diet it needs and many people do not want to do that, also some don't like touching raw meat....so opt for one of the manufactured kibbles........ It then depends on where in the world you live what 'best' kibble is sold/available.again you need to do the research however there are lots of independant websites that you can check and see what ingredients are in each, what to look for and what to avoid.

The food you feed your dog does connect to its behaviour and health...

• 4 weeks ago

There is no one, "BEST" food for all dogs.  Not all dogs do well on the exact same ingredients - just like humans. 

You look at online or published (like Whole Dog Journal) dog food reviews; you choose from what is sold in YOUR area and what YOU CAN AFFORD, in order to start making a selection.  It is how YOUR DOG DOES on said food, that is ultimately your deciding factor.

• Tasm
    Lv 6
    4 weeks ago

Dog food is usually best.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.