What type of roofing is this?

Two years ago a neighbor had his porch roof re-done. To me it looked like the roofer just put down felt. I expected to see him come back and put some shingles there, but he never did. I've never seen a finished roofing job look like this.


10 Answers

  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    4 months ago
    Favourite answer

    That's roll roofing, about the cheapest roofing treatment there is.  Your neighbor might be nearly broke and unable to afford better.

    BUT that is also a very low-pitch roof, and roll roofing is better for a low pitch.  Its longer coverage provides greater continuous coverage before overlaps, which means less chance for water to migrate up to the overlap and underneath the higher layer.

    I had a shed-type dormer on a previous house; the previous owner had roofed it about 15 years before and it finally just wore out.  I moved out of that house about 20 years ago and as of last year, my re-roof was still there.

  • 3 months ago

    Wow that looks awful, that would not even be legal here in Australia

  • 4 months ago

    i think it is roll roofing

  • 4 months ago

    Yes - roll roofing - often used on flat roofs or those with little pitch:  we have a cottage with low pitch roof - wanted to improve looks with shingles but contractors refused.  Why not put shingles over rolls?:  nail holes lead to leaks from standing water with such a low pitch.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Droopy
    Lv 5
    4 months ago

    Its basically sane thing as shingles.   You see it used mostly  on flat roofs or low pitch roofs.

  • 4 months ago

    It looks like rolled roofing which is cheap, partly because it's quick to install. It's pretty much the same as asphalt shingles, but thinner and won't last anywhere near as long.

    There is also rubber rolled roofing.

    Torch-on roofing also looks similar in that it comes in rolls, but it's wider and heavier than rolled roofing.

    Hard to say for sure from that photo

  • Anonymous
    4 months ago

    That looks like tar paper (not actually paper).  It's the same stuff shingles are made from but not cut up into little annoyong pieces to make them look vaguely like real slate shingles.  It's usually used in that form for sheds and shallow pitched rooves.  It's not so pretty to look down on, it's true, but it durable enough and quick to install.  It's a good choice if you're working to a tight budget and need roof.

  • 4 months ago

    Appears to be rubber roofing. They are very durable. 

  • 4 months ago

    We call it rolled roofing. Its just rolls of the same material as regular shingles. Or it could be rolls of rubber roofing. hard to tell from pic.

  • A
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

    it looks like double coverage paper, it is like 3-1 ft wide and has the' granules only on half so you 'double' it up by overlapping,  it is often used on roofs with shallow pitch

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.