Advice on a job you don’t like.?

Hello people,

I’m 16-years-old; I work for a fast restaurant. I honestly don’t like it. They don’t really train you. If you mess up, the managers get upset. They expect you to know everything within days of working WITHOUT even properly training you. Customers think you’re some kind of robot who’s not human with feelings. The only reason why I’m pushing through is because I need money to save up for further education and other reasons. I’m not sure of any other jobs that will hire a 16-year-old. I’ve asked Kroger and Walmart. They said they’re currently not hiring minors.  I have no intention of being a fast food worker for the rest of my life. Working at a job like this only motivates me to stay in school. I plan on getting a degree when I’m done with high-school  because fast food isn’t for me whatsoever. Does anyone have any advice? Please let me know. 

Pardon** it’s *fast food 

i'm 41 years old.

that was pretty much my life at age 16. I got hired at this burger place like 3 weeks after I turned 16, that was back in 1995, i got payed 4.90 an hour baby!!!!!!

Yes, I have some advice:  suck it up. Honestly--most first jobs are like this. MOST fast food jobs are like this. Most jobs PERIOD are like this, especially for someone your age. 

It's a fact of the working world that you are an employee--and you are expendable--and you are not going to have job satisfaction when you work at places like this. THAT'S the best reason for getting an education, so you don't HAVE to work in fast-food restaurants for the rest of your life. But you are finding out first hand what the working world is all about. Try to learn from it. Try to expand your horizons a bit, even there. Look for another job if you want, but don't expect it to be much better. For a 16 year old, there aren't many options, and you're not going to become a valuable member of the workforce until you get more education, more experience and more years under your belt. 

This can be seen as a learning opportunity instead of a burden, if you let it. 

Source(s): I worked in HR for 31 years.

I worked at a fast food restaurant too. My problem was different than yours. I at one point was doing a good part of my assistant manager's job, and my own too. I got in trouble, for doing that, so I had to stop doing her work, and just focus on my own work. I think my manager was concerned about me wanting to try to do his job, and every other employee's job too on my own.

Anyway unfortunately there are not many jobs people can do without having a college, or university education. Maybe if you were self taught then this could open more more possibilities, for you, but I assume you are not self taught.

A degree is just a piece of paper. What really matters kid is that whatever you learn at school, or on your own that you can apply it in the real world.

I have a college education, and I am self taught too. After I graduated from college, then I received a piece of paper, and I just put it inside of a storage tote. It's been there, for a long time!

The best advice I can give you is try to learn as much as you can, and it doesn't necessarily have to be at school. You ---> CAN <--- learn on your own just like me.

Apply to a different fast food place.  You may just have stumbled into a place with particularly poor management.  A lot of kids have difficulty at this jobs, and some people simply aren't well suited for them, but for the vast majority of people, if they stick it out and put in the effort, they find they catch on, make fewer mistakes, and get more comfortable.  

I think you're doing a great job by pushing thru it and not giving up and quitting. Just keep your goals in mind and you can do it. Good luck.

It's a bad deal getting hired at a job that offers no training.

First of all, having a college degree does not guarantee you a job outside of fast food. Make sure you choose wisely on your degree and don’t choose a worthless degree.

Secondly, you’re young so I can understand how you can get your feelings hurt so easily. But you need to learn that in the business world, your feelings don’t contribute to the bottom line, which is making money.

Advice on what?   It sounds like you understand the situation perfectly.

Working minimum wage jobs is hard and you don't want to spend your life doing it.  It's good motivation to get your university degree.   Working fast food will help you do that because it provides you with an income.

Ok...I just basically repeated what you said.   You don't need any advice other than being told that adulthood is full of a whole lot of stuff you don't want to do and don't enjoy.    Welcome to the club.   LOL!

By the way, most jobs do get easier as time passes.  The first week or two can be really brutal. 

• Petter

Well, I can imagine it's probably not all that fun, as in many service jobs you get a lot of heat, and often for no good reason. Many customers simply don't care about you.

See it as a good learning experience, because it really is, even if you hate it and it will make it all the easier to get a job somewhere else in the future, to simply endure it for a longer time.