Why did Yahoo! censor the word Homo in Homo erectus, Homo habilis and Homo sapiens?
- nineteenthlyLv 73 weeks ago
Oh 'struth, really?! How embarrassing for them!
- ObserverLv 72 months ago
Someone complained and so it was censored.
- 2 months ago
Hello, i add, may it not discarded, but may it is new word and they need some time for add it to their dictionary..
- ob1knobLv 72 months ago
2 possible explanations
- the creationist lobbying within Yahoo management that prevents us from discussing the evolution of the Homo genus
- the Yahoo algorithm that can't tell the Roman prefix for "human" (Homo genus) from the Greek for "same" homologous, homogenized.
Btw a generation back in the past, Homo used to stand for Homogenized milk. Parents could send kids for grocery shopping some homo.
In American English, Homo is considered derogatory by American LGBT+ community, when in other countries it's just a short for homosexual. (Although every nation have their own derogatory words for gays)
- What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
- Anonymous3 months ago
Because the software that it uses thinks that it is a derogatory term that puts down gay people. The software bleeps it out just like it bleeps out 4 letter words such as fu*k, sh*t and di*k..
- Gray BoldLv 73 months ago
The word H*mo is considered offensive to some.
- BobLv 53 months ago
Did it? You seem to have managed to post a question with the word multiple times.
Don’t most adults know that the Homo in Homo Sapiens means Human Being?