Isabel
Isabel asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 3 months ago

Is my sister being entitled for expecting the family business to be passed down?

My grandmother started a small business that has grown into a large company over the decades.  For 45 years, her two daughters ran the company together.  My sister, myself, and our two cousins were always told growing up that we would run the company together one day.  For the last five years, we have been studying and preparing to assume a more active role.  Recently, my auntie decided that she wants to liquidate her portion and split.  The company is so large that my mother will have to sell out, too.  She can’t afford to buy her sister out.  Now, the whole company is being liquidated, and the split has become contentious.  My sister is pissed, because she felt like the company was supposed to continue for generations.  She feels like our aunt has betrayed us all.  Is my sister entitled?  Is she selfish?

• bubula

You don't say how old she is, but this is what psychologists would term "adjustment to adult living." Fiancé breaks off the engagement. Stock worth lots and lots plummets in value. Dream house catches fire. Life, over which we either have no control or far less than we imagine, happens. The people in charge of the company get to decide what to do with it, for their own reasons, and are not obligated to fulfill family expectations. Your sister can feel any way she feels, but it's wasted energy to blame others. She needs to accept reality and move on. You all do. So yes, in a sense, she is behaving as if she is entitled and she is behaving selfishly, but the overarching behavior is more that of someone who expects others to make her life easy and isn't ready to take personal responsibility.

Best of luck.

• Tj

Take your education and go find some good jobs. There is nothing you can do. Yes, you should all be pissed. Just make the best of what you all studied and apply it to a new job.

maybe your sister can offer to buy it

"were always told growing up that we would run the company"    

That doesn't mean you would be gifted ownership of the company. 

"Recently, my auntie decided that she wants to liquidate her portion and split."    

That's her choice.

"The company is so large that my mother will have to sell out, too."

Why?  That's not really how it works.

"She can’t afford to buy her sister out."   

Why does she have to?   If the rest of you freeloaders want to own a portion of the company, buy however many of Auntie's shares as you can.  

"My sister is pissed, because she felt like the company was supposed to continue for generations."

Then tell her to make her Aunt an offer.  

You've really given zero information about what type of legal entity this company is, who the shareholders are, what kind of partnership agreement there is, etc.   I can only presume this story is 100% fake.  

But yes, expecting large gifts is self-entitled.

• A.J.

Anyone counting on any inheritance is wrong in personality.

Whomever earned the money is theirs to spend or leave whether cash or business.

If a person wants certainty, it should have been negotiated by contracts and equity growth in the business.