Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 1 month ago

Is it rude to bring your significant other?

If a few ladies plan a get together and one invites her boyfriend/husband along without checking with the rest of the group, is that rude?

• J

If she knew that it was only going to be a group of ladies, she should have asked before bringing her husband. It’s just gonna lead to awkwardness and a cranky husband. Most women don’t want one person to bring her husband if nobody else does. 

It would puzzle and confuse the other ladies, and is therefore rude. And silly. Men are not wanted at ladies' get-togethers unless it's been agreed in advance.

Not just rude, but stupid. I think her husband would have felt awful being the male with a group of women.

Yes it is, if they are only inviting one person

Men do not belong at "hen parties".

Yes, it is rude. And weird.

it is rude, but maybe you should tell them they need to ask first

Yes because then they can’t freely talk about men with a husband around. A friend of mine once said he wanted to see a movie with me, and then he picked me up with his girlfriend without saying anything. I was incredibly uncomfortable I’d never met her and then she started loudly watching some kind of makeup unboxing video on YouTube in the car, I just wished I never went. Obviously this isn’t as extreme as your situation but some people just feel uncomfortable around members of the opposite sex they don’t know, or around people they don’t know and it would be a completely different and uncomfortable experience with them there. So yeah always ask if you’re going to do that, at least if they’ll have the opportunity to not be shocked and made uncomfortable by it. 

Yes, that's rude.  Either she's rude and thoughtless or he's controlling and kicks up a fuss if he can't monitor her.  Once by accident if your other friend group always brings a +1 I'd get, but surely they'd notice, be embarrassed and not do it again after that.

• mokrie

It's not right. I'm not sure if it qualifies as rude but it's selfish and thoughtless. A ladies night should be for just the girls. Obviously that lady has a jealous husband that doesn't trust the females.