Why should I tip?

I have never left a tip in my life. There are tons of other jobs out there that make minimum wage and don't get tips so why should I tip servers? Maybe if the government didn't take so much in taxes then I would consider it.

• Troy

Its a really ignorant system. Nonsense. They should get paid fairly for the job they are doing. If somebody wants to pay more to express thanks for extraordinary service than by all means. If management wants a general incentive then mark it up in the menu and pay them the mark up as a bonus. But a non binding social requirement to pay 15-20% regardless of quality of service is just silly. What about the great job the janitor did, the chef/cook, the manager, the host, the landscaper, the maintenance repair man, the food delivery driver. All equally necessary for your dining experience, but they just get their money by the hour or the job.

• 2 days ago

Tips are always optional, by definition. All tipped employees in the USA are making at least the same minimum wage as everyone else in that state. If the tips and base pay don't add up to the min wage, the employer is required to make up the difference, which they should anyway, if they value their employees.  What the "government" takes has nothing to do with tipping.

I've never tipped 'automatically/because it was expected. If I've received really good service, I'll tip. I've left tips for hairdressers always. Always good to get on the good side of a hairdresser!!

You always should at certain places like restaurants, car washes, hair salons

Servers rely on tips to make a living because their employer only pays them about $2.00 per hour.  You should be tipping 15% to 20% of what the bill comes to. 

• mokrie

I hope you don't eat at the same places. Once servers know you won't tip them, some might do something disgusting in your food before you get it.

thats up to you, i dont think anyone is forcing you to tip

Servers don't get paid minimum wage.  They get paid below minimum wage, usually around $2 per hour, and are expected to make up the difference between their pay and minimum wage through tips.