Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Beauty & StyleHair · 1 month ago

Hair disaster?

Hi

So about 2 months ago, in lockdown, I decided to bleach my long dark brown hair at home. After the first bleach, I immediately regretted it as my hair turned orange but I pushed through and bleached + toned again, but my hair was still pretty orange. I then tried to dye my hair brown again with semi-permanent L’Oreal dye but it turned orangey-brown instead. As I waited for hairdressers to open, my hair faded to a nicer colour but was still not great. I decided to go to a hairdresser when they opened again and asked for a light brown and blonde balayage, and showed a picture, but now my hair is essentially dense black with blonde stripes. I was not expecting this because I’d seen a lot of photos of this hairdresser’s work and the other clients at the salon on the day had great results. 

I’m really stuck as to what to do since it’s difficult to get hair appointments right now and also it’s all becoming pretty expensive. Obviously if that’s the best solution then I’ll try to get an appointment somewhere ASAP, but if anyone has any advice in the meantime I’d be really grateful.

I’m so upset about this whole thing and just want to be able to feel good about my hair again and I’m now exhausted by the whole thing and regret doing anything to my hair so much :(((

Thanks in advance

• Dave

Your best bet is to let it grow out.

YOU badly damages your hair before going to the hairdresser.  There was only so much she could do.  Personally I would have asked if she would get it to a medium brown and left if one color for a while.

• drip

In the future, really take a few minutes to look at your hair, for t and back, before you leave the salon. Before you leave your chair. Don’t allow them to rush you off. Speak up. I don’t like this. This is not what I asked for. What can be done. To fix this. You may want talk to the owner of the salon.  Perhaps the dye took more on your hair and came out darker. 

Now I think you need to give your hair a rest. 

At a good salon, they can have a stylist that is better at dying than others. Let them know you have a problem. 

Adding to Gert and Lindsey's excellent advice: do not attempt to remove the color yourself at home using color removers or bleaches. Any more bleach and you could end up with hair so damaged I breaks when your comb it. You could end up with bald patches and scalp burns.   Call the salon and tell them you aren't happy and need things fixed. Depending on the damage their might not be much they can do and you might be stuck with a dark mistake until it grows out

• Gert

You have severely damaged your hair making it extremely porous.  What happened is your hair 'grabbed' the color that was applied by the hairdresser.  Yes, this is a disaster.  It'll take a while to fix this.  Don't blame the hairdresser.  This is all on you.

• Call them and let them know you're not happy with the way your color turned out, and ask if they can fix it. Usually salons do color corrections for free, if you go back to the salon that did the color. If you go to another salon, they will probably charge you to fix it.