Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkNon-Alcoholic Drinks · 2 months ago

How do I give up drinking coffee?

Even if I sleep for 8/9 hours, I still feel really sleepy and tired without coffee. And if I don't drink it, I feel even more tired. So how do I stop drinking coffee? I drink it everyday.

Just start cutting back.I went from about 8 pots of 12 cups a day to only 4 cups orders from my DR.a hugh amount.It can be done took about a month.One of the hardest things I have ever had to do.The coffee is what is keeping you active if you are tired its something else.For me it was my heart so maybe you should get a check up.It just creeped up on me.I had no idea.Good luck

• Jerry

1. Caffeine is physically addictive. It takes a wash out period, like 90 days or more, for the craving to leave you.

2. The feeling you are calling "sleepy and tired" is the normal way for people to feel when they aren't putting artificial stimulants into their body. Think about driving on the freeway at 70 mph for a few hours, then exiting the freeway onto a 45 mph road. That 45 mph feels really really S-L-O-W for a while because you're used to going much faster. In the same way, your normal natural level of energy feels sluggish because you're used to having an unnaturally high level of energy. 

3. I suggest that you continue to enjoy coffee (or some other form of caffeine) in the morning and gradually reduce the amount over a period of several months. Aim to reduce consumption from several cups a day to half a cup a day instead of "going cold turkey." 

Source(s): I was nurse on staff at a health and diet resort that specialized in helping people change to a healthier diet and improve exercise habits. Almost all guests could handle the half a cup a day limit, but few could handle just quitting.

Just... don't drink it. Find something else to drink. 

Start weaning off the caffeine by replacing it with half decaf for a week, gradually increasing the decaf. 

• kswck2

Hit the showers right away when you get up. That will wash the sleepiness away. 

Gradually reduce the dose. Need to drink something less every day. All will be well at one time.

drink  hot  tea?           

Start drinking 20mL less coffee each day 

• Ben

You could find something else to have regularly. Maybe switch to tea, then uncaffeinated tea and then just whatever - water, juice, etc. It depends why you go to it - to wake you up? for the taste?

Talk to a physician. You might have other things going on. Eight or nine hours of sleep is more than enough for most people. What are you eating?