Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 4 weeks ago

How do I properly color coordinate a logic circuit with limited wire colors?

I am currently in a logic intro class and they didn't give any rules for color other than these

1. Red used for positive, and black for negative wires

2. Yellow or purple for final output

3. Different colors for each initial input

So I am doing that. But what I don't understand is what colors to use between the gates. I am given ten colors. With a four input circuit and using the rules above that limits me to just three colors to use for the rest of the circuit. To describe my circuit simply, it is the four inputs into four 2 AND gates, then those gates go to two 2 OR gates, and then a final OR gate for one output. What I currently have planned is to use a single color for the wire between AND-OR, and a different color between the OR-OR. Since I am so limited on colors that seems to be pretty much all I can do unless I reuse some, but it just seems wrong to me to use a single color for a whole section of multiple wires which could cause confusion. The instructor said it doesn't matter but I am more concerned about the general rule for this rather than a rule regarding this specific class.

you are wasting your energy and time, just use all the same color or random colors. 

there are no rules... final versions are all on PC boards, no wires at all.

When I was doing circuit design (many years ago), we used two or three colors for power lines (red and black for your class), and a single different color for logic lines. We didn't worry about what that color was, just that it wasn't red or black. Usually it was whatever color was in the supply cabinet.

• Jim

I suggest adding striped color wires if you need unique colors.

From connector to connector it doesn't matter they could all be the same, but I would still use at least different color to indicate polarity.