? asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 4 weeks ago

How do I stop my daughter swearing?

My ten year old daughter has got a foul mouth on her she is always saying the F word in front of me and I have taken things off her but it’s not working so what else could I do?

• L

My son, raising three girls, NEVER swore except at work.  A 10-year old can pick this up from anyone............even a neighbor.  When she swears..........don't say a work.........just have her come to you and sprinkle red pepper or hot sauce on her tongue and then tell her you will do it again and again until she stops swearing.  Also, make sure YOU are not swearing.

I have 2 daughters who were teenagers, 14 & 16. As they were growing up I noticed how the environment and the kids and adults around them influence them. Of course they have their own personality but you know when they hang out with the same set of friends on a daily basis at school they kinda adapt and somehow copy the mannerisms and language... Getting mad at them or yelling at them when they swear  - based on my experience - is not a good way of stopping them as they will continue when you're not around. What worked for our family is good communication, understanding and a lot of patience. It takes a great amount of faith and patience before you see the changes, but it's worth it when you realize they are growing better individuals. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtAtBBpXhjk

Youtube thumbnail

my daughter would be getting a leathered backside if she done that 

I used to be like that,it's to get a shock and attention from you,I didn't get the attention and still swear loads now.involve her in conversations,hear her views and tell her she'll be single a long time if she carries on,men don't like women who swear.

As someone without children and with a filthy vocabulary, I try to watch my mouth when I'm around little kids.  Having said that, I'm shocked at the language their parents use around them.  It doesn't surprise me in the least when they start to repeat it.  Making a big deal out of it reinforces kids' doing this because it makes them cool to the other kids and gets their parents' attention, even if it is negative attention.

Ten is the perfect age to explain to kids about how they present themselves to the world and it's up to them to behave the way they want to be treated.  Explain you don't expect them to be saints but you don't want them to act like sinners, either.

Insistence, demanding - not necessary with a loud voice, and emotions, but with firm demand. You may come up with a punishment - but not with only threat. Her habituation is an indicator of more problems than just a swearing.  

• edward

At least make sure she’s using it in the correct context

1.  Set a good example to follow.

2.  Clearly explain to her what behavior you expect from her.

3.  Punish her each time she fails to meet your expectations (but allow a learning curve).

Leather her behind.

• LizB

Do YOU swear in front of her? Does her father? If so, maybe you should start by watching your own language.