Heating turned on by itself?

Any heating experts or people who have experience with potterton boilers playing up out there?  Our thermostat was turned off, and there is no timed switch on set up for our heating system. The weather is warm, yet our boiler decided it needed to kick in the heating at 1.30 at night, I'm glad I heard the system 'creaking' so I could turn it off on the boiler dial. None of the lights were on any of the thermostat link, or timer boxes, but the two lights on the boiler temperature display were on, and the display was flashing between 16 and 17C. Does anyone know why it would do this? Google mentions something about some systems kicking in for a bit if the heating hasn't been used for a while to prevent some issue or other in the pump. However I have never noticed this happen before.

I had to get the engineer out about another issue a few weeks ago, and don't want to have to get someone out again so soon, especially with coronavirus still around and being a 'vulnerable' person.

Thank you for reading.

The boiler supplies hot water as well has heat for the air. This has been happening regularly and you never noticed.

The system was calling for heat and the boiler responded.  Suspect a bad thermostat first.  Disconnect the wires to it and see if the issue goes away.