Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 month ago

Rather stupid question concerning using too much detergent on a blanket?

I made the mistake of adding a little too much to a load of laundry with one single blanket (being a faux sherpa made with polyester) its overly scented by said detergent now and i use this particular blanket as somewhat of a security blanket meaning its close to my face while i sleep. So the question is will it be okay for me to breathe in the concentrated scent like that all night while I'm sleeping as i dont wanna have to rewash it again due to its delicateness plus i have to air dry it as well so it takes ages in the dryer. I typically wouldnt be bothered to ask something so odd but it seems concerning as to how much scent is there now lol

It'll wear off but it would annoy me too.  I don't like things to be heavily scented.  You don't need to do a full rewash to get most of the scent out.  Just put it through the rinse cycle with white vinegar in the fabric softener slot.  You'll still have to dry it again but fleeces dry fairly quickly.  I've not looked into the science of it but vinegar seems to somewhat restore the softness of polyester fleeces.  I know why it works on other fibres but not on polyester fleece in particular since it doesn't seem to do much for other synthetic weaves, but it does so I give my fleeces a vinegar rinse when they need reviving.  Any lingering chip shop scent is gone once fully dry.

just wash it again in plain water and you'll be fine

it's probably ok but if the smell is irritating you could try hanging it by a window or something to get rid of the smell a bit 

Wash it two or three times without soap.