Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGlobal Warming · 4 weeks ago

What's the longest it ever took for you to make something?

All night long. Cooking. Making a zygote. 

3 hours to make love.

Russian borscht. Its really good

I have several cakes that I make that parts have to be made in advance so for those making a cake can take 2 days but I do not consider that into the time it takes to make the cake, maybe I should. 

I do several things on the smoker or in the oven that may take 10 hours but again it is "hands off" so I don't think it really counts. 

A lasagna, making and assembling the individual ingredients takes time, the sauce can take an hour, I grate cheese from a block, that takes time then the bake time once it goes into the oven. I always make an "overnight, no knead" bread and that takes 24 hours. (Shopping for the ingredients for the lasagna sometimes takes longer than making it depending on if I have to go to the 2 stores I shop at for particular ingredients)

But the thing that took the longest to make...I tried making Rock Candy once after about 2 weeks watching little itty bitty sugar crystals form I tossed it out.

A decent cheese cake take a an hour and a half to prepare. It is a complicated recipe, but it is worth every minute.

not counting actual cooking time where you just move on to other prep while it cooks, about 2 hours. I don't do something so fancy that it needs all sorts of extra attention. 

• CB

Smoked Boston Butt - about 16 hours.

• kswck2

Well, the obvious answer would be a large turkey that would cook in the oven overnight, or smoked ribs that take several hours. 

But for a hands on dish, i would say home made ketchup. About 3 hours of near constant stirring. 

• Baking a cake.   

This comes to mind, several years ago I saw a recipe on a popular Internet news site for Chicken Cacciatore. It said it would take about 50 minutes to make. It took around 2 1/2 hours and it wasn't even that good.