Boy
Lv 5

what if the ZIP disk would have succeeded?

The Zip disk was the soon to be replacement for the 1.44MB floppy disk. Zip disk held 100MB of data. They grew in great popularity in the early 2000s and gave the impression to the public that it was time to switch to them, but then thumb drives came in competition against them and Zip disk was kicked out.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • John P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

With USB drives coming on stream a year or two later, the fairly large Zip drives were doomed. As early as around 2005 you could buy 1 GB USB drives, and not long afterwards 4 Gb and more.   Now the smallest capacity USB drive you can buy is 16 GB (yes, 16 Gb), and they can be little bigger than a thumbnail - actually I prefer slightly bigger ones, harder to lose!   There are now USB drives on sale with 128 GB or even, I think, 1Tb. 

• 2 months ago

Zip disks were really competing with CD, thumb drives killed both of them.  Zip disks never got a chance being late to the game compared to CD and CD held on for a while but became obsolete.

• P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your timing is way off.  It was cheap CD\DVD RW drives that killed zip disks, not thumb drives.  Zip disks were always more of a niche product anyway.  They were rarely installed in computer labs for example so it wasn't something you could really expect to use out of your home.  People needed a high storage medium that was cheap enough to give away on some level.  USB drives for the most part still don't even meet that mark aside from business giveaways.   Even as inconvenient it is to burn CD's they are still far superior in so many ways to zip disks.  

• Lv 7
    2 months ago

what? didn't succeed??? but i stilluse them...

besides, it's not like you can get "thumb drives" bigger than 750 MB, anyways...

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The Zip disk had moving parts, the USB memory stick had no moving parts and held more data. 

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.