Are all DeWalt tools compatible with any battery amperage?

I have the compact drill driver DCD777 20V Max that came with the 1.3 ah battery. Can I use a 3 ah or even a 5 ah battery on this tool or will that exceed it's capabilities and harm the motor?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Andy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Yes. Amp-hour (ah) ratings are simply an indication of the stored energy capacity of the batteries. For example, 3 ah means that the battery can delivery 3 amps of current for one hour or, theoretically, 1 amp for 3 hours. A 1.3 ah battery can deliver 1.3 amps for an hour or 1 amp for 1.3 hours. The takeaway is that for a given load, a battery with a higher amp-hour rating can run the tool for longer between charges than a battery with a lower rating.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

So long as the battery says 20 Volt, then it don't matter.  Chances are good the bigger battery won't clip in telling you it is the wrong battery.

• 2 months ago

You can use ANY 20V MAX battery.   The only difference is a 5 AH is bigger and weighs more than the others.   You might find on smaller tools the weight screws up the balance of the tool. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

As long as the battery has the same voltage, it is compatible.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

As long as they match physically and the voltages match then you will be ok

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Sure, BUT each company has a unique battery (attachment)

I like EGO systems.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.