how to not break the back of your books?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

If I own the book I just DO break the spine. The book is there to serve me. If I can't read it without opening it out flat, I do it.

It makes my husband want to murder me, but what is the point of a book if you have to squint to read it? In the end it's only paper.

And please don't tell me the next stage will be burning books: my whole point is that I value what is IN the book rather than its paper pages and cover. I don't discard the book once I've broken the spine; I have books like that that I've had on my shelves for 50 years.

• Mandy
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I believe you are referring to the spine of the book.  Just wanted you to know what it’s called.  

• JOHN B
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Use a Book Cradle.

• 2 months ago

I also try to avoid this. It would be so much easier to not care, right?

Unfortunately it’s simply a case of not opening the book too wide. As soon as you can feel the book resist being opened you’re in the danger zone, so stop there. That’s all we can do.

This is why I adore extremely floppy paperbacks. The ones that go stiff the moment you open them make me welp.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It is not a question of how but a question of why young grasshopper

• Ludwig
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Place the book on a flat surface.  Open the covers, and two leaves at the front and back of the book.  Rub down near the spine to flatten these against the covers.  Then take another two leaves and do the same.   Continue working your way towards the centre of the book until you have done them all.

• Marli
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If the spine is glued to the cover, don't try to open it to lie flat.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.