Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Why covid19 seems more threatening when In actuality, cancer and heart disease kill more?

In average, over 500,000 die of cancer in America every year. Heart disease kill over 600,000 every year in the US. So far covid has claimed over 150,000 Americans. Even if by the end of this year if covid takes 300,000 US lives, it would still be half of what heart disease causes.

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

The problem with cancer and heart disease is that people know what is. Therefore you can't use ignorance and fear to control them.

• 2 months ago

Maybe because it is contagious, and the others are not...

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Well the first covid death in the US was in March.  We might reach something like a half million by next march.  And keep in mind that the 150K (and counting) death toll is AFTER we took aggressive measures to stop the virus.  Without them we could esily have surpassed cancer deaths.

But the reason it's scarier is that it's contagious.  Cancer isn't contagious.  There are behaviors which you can engage in which increase your risk for cancer, such as smoking, sun tanning, alcoholism, etc.  But I'm not going to catch cancer from someone coughing on me at the grocery store.  I'm not going to get heart disease from going to see a movie (although the buttered popcorn might do it).  With covid we can catch it from doing ordinary things.  That's what's so devastating and scary about it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

cancer and heart disease are not contagous. But covid 19 is.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Cancer and heart disease kill far more people than those playing with guns but that doesn't mean playing with a gun is a good thing.   Similarly it's not a good idea to stand within 2m (6ft 6") of others and not a good idea not to wear a mask.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes corona is bad, but it's not the deadliest ongoing disease.

• 2 months ago

Consider the lengths we went thru to keep the deaths this low. Imagine if we had done nothing. Our actions are estimated to have saved 1,000,000 lives. 

• 2 months ago

So if I came over and shot you, why would that be a problem?  Harold Shipman killed 218 people (that we know of!)  So why do cops bother with people who only kill five or ten?

• 2 months ago

Suffocating to death seems pretty threatening.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Propaganda  IS the matrix.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.