Frederick asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 2 months ago

I work for $15/hr in Peoria Illinois.What do you think this is sufficent wage rate or not?

That comes to about $30,000/year which puts you at the 35th percentile in Illinois in terms of earnings.   Roughly 1/3 of the people in Illinois earn less than you and 2/3 earn more.

I started my career earning less than that, but still managed to save money.

Philosophically speaking, this has NOTHING to do with Philosophy.

Go bother people in Personal Finance.

• Embery

That probably isn't too bad with the coronavirus, I don't know how strippers and prostitutes are making it these days.

For what you do, yes, others will take it if you want to opt out.

That depends largely on what you are doing and how smart you are. 

That depends on exactly what you do at work, which you totally forgot to say.

If you're folding sweaters or flipping burgers for a living (and there's nothing wrong with those jobs, I've done them myself), you've got a really sweet deal going on.  If you're an electrician or a surgeon, you're being ripped off better than Caitlyn Jenner's scrotum.

Yes it is, especially if you don't waste it on things like cigarettes, drugs, booze, $200 sneakers, $80 jeans, $50,000+ for a new truck, etc. I survived well on a lot less than that for many years.

If it’s an unskilled position sure, that’s fair.  If you want to be paid more you have to learn a marketable, practical, useful skill.  

It depends upon what the cost of living is in Peoria. It would be insufficient in the SF Bay Area in CA, with average rents for a one bedroom apt at $2445. Its only $891 in Peoria, which makes $15 a livable wage. ($2400 a month before income taxes)