Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social SciencePsychology · 6 months ago

How do I stop being lazy ?

I also have autism if that helps 

First, a healthy lifestyle can energize you. If you go to Metapsychology, you can read a psychologist's review of Dr Steve Ilardi's book ("a splendid book"). He's the therapist who headed a university lifestyle-depression project and developed a program for stress reduction.

I'll tell you a couple of simple tricks that I've found to be very useful. I used to have a terrible problem with procrastination, and these things helped me greatly. 

This is useful for all kinds of things you don't feel like doing. If a task seems like it's too big, think of it as a series of tasks that you can take on one at a time, and start with something really, really easy. Cleaning - start by cleaning for 3 or 4 min and take a 5 min break. Or start by just cleaning the kitchen counters. Homework - start by proofreading a paper or by previewing a chapter you're about to read, looking at headings, sub-headings, etc. 

Short breaks are good but always watch the clock. Look for natural breaks, like after you finish a chapter or write an outline. 

Staying on task - if you find yourself dawdling, wasting time while you're working, here's a simple fix. Decide how much time it will take to get a task done and do it in that time, watching the clock.

A famous psychiatrist said that when we can't control our feelings we can still control our muscles. If you tell your arms and legs to get you to the bathroom for a shower, they will obey.

Try this when it seems that you're too tired to work. Lie on the couch, close your eyes, and get ready to work by imagining yourself working for 5 minutes. Again, think in terms of taking it step by step and starting with something really easy.

When I really am too tired to work, I can sometimes use the couch method to come up with a good idea that I can jot down and work on later.

Sometimes, people hate work because they haven't been properly trained to do the work. If you hate schoolwork, I have advice from experts in my answers.

• J P

Learning and relationship disorders can often block motivation. I have dyslexia and some social disorders, and the first thing I did was take a little time (one hour per day) to read on it, and look for ways to remind myself "stay on track." (Proverbs 10:4 and Colossians 3:23 were my go-to inspiration, but you'll have to find yours. Ask someone you admire to write a one-sentence motivator.) I highly recommend a book called "When Your Best Isn't Good Enough" by Dr. Kevin Leman. The book addresses some of our self-defeating behaviors. It's hard to explain learning disability/emotional detachment, or self-critical barriers. Take a Nike approach and just do it, even imperfectly. Check lists help me. A half hour in the evening to make tomorrow's check list, or even ten minutes before a workday, makes a difference. If you are wasting time, do it outright and enjoy with limits ... allow yourself a break, but set a phone alarm to say "that's enough." Also, be easy on yourself when you need more time to do something. Things you're doing slowly don't have to be accelerated. It will just take longer to correct the mistakes due to rushing. You can take your time if you make time. I have to envision the results and how they're better for self-esteem than the trash tv or moping.

A lady had offered me a job to work at a library, she also had offered a job to work full time at Nasa, it's far away..

Some of the people with Autism Look Like Nerds. A lot of them do. 

I have A Company That Helps Me.

If I Ever Needed To Live Somewhere Else i could Go Live In A Group Home, But They Look Like Nerds & Stuff. Definitely something That I would Not Do. 

So, you might just want to look at a Real Place For Work. Like Wal Mart. You could pass a Drug Test easily. Or look for something That Is Better.

.