Does alcohol really help u sleep?

I feel like the whole alcohol helps u sleep thing is a myth. I notice  when I'm drunk and trying to sleep I'm restless and tossing and turning all night. I when I finally do go to sleep I wake up maybe a few times during the night.

Alcohol can help with sleep onset due to its sedative properties, allowing you to fall asleep more quickly. However, people who drink before bed often experience disruptions later in their sleep cycle as liver enzymes metabolize alcohol.

Worst thing to do to sleep is use alcohol.

You wake up with a horrible headache I won't call that Quality Sleep.

A new review of 27 studies shows that alcohol does not improve sleep quality. According to the findings, alcohol does allow healthy people to fall asleep quicker and sleep more deeply for a while, but it reduces rapid eye movement (REM) sleep. And the more you drink before bed, the more pronounced these effects.

• Chanel

I haven't drank for 20 years BUT I remember when I was going through a bad time at work I took a miniature  of southern comfort and it helped me BUT yes it is a big but, I found that it was not enough. Then it was a quarter of whisky.

Just like yourself I still did not sleep and I felt rotten the next day.

It is also the come down from alcohol is awful.

Alcohol can destroy every organ in the body.

It is better if you try another way to sleep.

It might help you get to sleep but then it wakes you up. You sleep much better without alcohol. 

• kelvin

if you need alcohol to sleep you might have a drinking problem

no alcohol is not a sleep inducer aid at all.

No it does not  

• Sandy

alcohol affects people differently. most get sleepy drunk. it has little affect on others.