are there any animals that would survive a skydive with no parachute?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 weeks ago

sure, birds, flying squirrels, etc.

• Gabe
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

I assume you mean any that do not have special aerodynamic adaptations such as a flying squirrels membrane? Those are called Volant.

• 2 months ago

Rotifers would definitely survive since they weigh not much more than a speck of dust.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes birds can because they have wings. They do sky dives daily when they leap off of cliffs or tree tops.There are also animals that can glide to safety For example, gliding frogs, flying snakes, sugar gliders, flying squirrels, Draco (gliding lizards) and the colugo (or flying lemur). Even house cats can survive leaps from a roof top or tree top sometimes. The key is reducing the velocity by increasing the amount of surface area to mimic a parachute.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 2 months ago

The variables here are the terminal velocity of the animal and the surface of impact.

In that, a great many animals could survive such fall.

60% of humans impacting at terminal velocity survive, but most suffer serious injuries in the process.

I have these long legged house spiders around, like this:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/32083154@N02/3709913...

Not the best climbers I watched this one fall off the wall, sort of like a falling potato chip. Didn't phase him a bit. I picked him up and put him back on the wall where you see him.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The dive isn't the problem, the landing is. The smaller the animal, the better its chances of surviving the landing.

Sometimes even a human can survive, but not without breaking two legs...

• Jim
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Birds, bats, most insects, flying squirrels, etc

• cosmo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, small animals have a higher surface area to volume ratio.  It's basically impossible to kill a mouse by dropping it from any height.  For anything as small as or smaller than a mouse, terminal velocity hitting concrete is survivable.

Conversely, you can kill an elephant by dropping it 10 feet.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Sure.  A bird.  A flying squirrel, most lizards, and insects.

• Rick
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

birds ..................................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.