Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 2 months ago

Bought my girl a diamond ring?

I bought my girlfriend a diamond ring and a lot of people are asking if I’m getting married, but I’m not it’s just a promise ring. It did cost $2,000

We’ve been together 3 years and she’s amazing, i want to marry her one day. What is the difference between the 2 besides what they represent? I just need advice on the situation because people are getting in my head

• Edna

No "promise ring" costs $2000. If you spent that much, you didn't give her a promise ring; you actually gave her what amounts to an engagement ring.

A promise ring is a very inexpensive ring.  If you give her a promise ring and she accepts it, all that means is that you two have informally "promised" one another than you're going to marry some day in the far-distant future - maybe. That "promise" might never be fulfilled.  A "promise ring" means nothing. If you spent $2000 on a promise ring, you wasted your money. Promise rings are usually worn by teenagers who are "going steady" with one another.

An engagement ring signifies that the two of you have made a formal commitment to each other  and to society that you are going to marry and are making plans to marry within the coming year.   

There's really no difference except for what they represent. But as a promise ring is usually given by someone so young that they don't have their finances in order it's usually a little less extravagant. 

• Trish

8honestly would want to skip the promise ring and go for the engagement because it has been three years that's a long time. You've had plenty of time to make up your minds now you should take action.  I thought promise rings were for teenagers.

you are pathetic 

• drip

A promise ring doesn’t necessarily have a diamond or any gem stone in it. 

Many don’t have a diamond, and if they have a diamond it is small. 

If you get a ring with a big diamond in it, people will think it is an engagement ring.

My daughter had a silver infinity ring as a promise ring.no gem stone at all. 

You should of gotten her a gem stone other than a diamond.

• Jerry

It's not like a Henley shirt vs a polo shirt, where there are clear differences in styling. It's like the Henley shirt your grandmother sent you for your birthday right before she died vs some other Henley shirt with no sentimental meaning. The shirts aren't very different from each other in how they look, but the one has special meaning because of your feelings about your grandmother. 

One diamond ring isn't that different from other diamond rings just by looking at them, but can be very different in the sentiment attached to each. 

• Basically..... Promise rings are given as a promise to propose to some one some day. Engagement rings usually have larger stones (bridal sets often come with a wedding band), they can also be more expensive then a promise ring. Engagement rings are used to propose with when you're ready to get married. 

• Tj

A friendship ring is a gift to a friend, a engagement ring is giving with marriage in mind. If the marriage does not happen the ring, by law goes back to the man.