Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsOther - Family & Relationships · 2 months ago

I'm 20 and Having a Baby, What Would You Do? Read The Description Please.?

Hi, I know this is Yahoo answers but I only have a few friends none of which are parents and none of which have ever been in this position and it can honestly help to get insight from other people who have no bias. 

I'm 20 years old, enlisted in the USAF National Guard and I'm supposed to ship out next week for basic training and tech school and be gone for about 6 months. My dream is to be a pilot, and to travel the world supporting this country. A week before I leave I received a notification from the mother, saying she's pregnant with my child - as much as I don't want to believe it, the timeline adds up from a one night stand at a party. 

After basic training, I was going to move half way across the country with my mother and father to just start a new life as they were retiring and buying a new home. Obviously, the difficulties of that is apparent now that there is a baby on the way. 

I'm very self-aware and I know that I am not ready for this. I'm not ready to be a father, I'm not ready to quit college and my dream because of this. My parents would most likely disown me (you, whom is answering, do not know my family so trust me when I say this). 

The family of the mother has given me the option, to leave with no repercussions or to stay. Please give me advise on what anyone here would do, or would want their child to do, or if anyone has ever been in this position what they have done.

Thank You

The family of the mother as well as the mother have given me the choice to leave or stay. 

The only advice that is appropriate is to tell you to GROW THE **** UP!

Until the child is born and DNA testing is done there is no proof you are the father.

"No repercussions?"  I don't know what that means, BUT you are responsible for supporting the child.  You can be ordered to pay support until the child graduates from college OR is adopted by someone.

I'd act more like a man and less like a spoiled child.  Who got this girl pregnant?  You?  Well, that's how plans for your life go ...

I do like the part where you tour the World protecting "this county."  Nice touch.

Is it your life and you are very young  in about 5 years or so you will wish you would have waited to have children.

• Tj

What ever you do, do not put your name on that birth certificate, until you get a DNA test done to prove it is your baby. You have a commitment with the USAF, you cannot ignore that. If you want to sign off parental rights, make sure you have no financial responsibility, get a lawyer to protect yourself.

Go ahead with your plans. When the baby is born, have a dna test done. When YOU get the results, you can make whatever decisions you think necessary at that time. Someone you had sex with once at a party possibly wasn't chaste and beholden only to you during that time period. 

The USAF would NEVER handle/ accept a preg woman from the Git.  TROLL spam bot       

• drip

You own up to your responsibilities. 

You don’t want kids, you take the steps to make sure you don’t get a women pregnant. 

You do really want to go through life knowing your son or daughter is out there? 

Even if you ignore it, here’s the thing YOU are still some child’s dad.

There is no reason why you can not be a father and continue on with your education. Women have done it for decades.

You can still be a part of your child’s life and be in the military. You can still support the child financially and emotionally and have a relationship with them while in the military. 

You don't have to be in the babies life but once paternity is established you have to pay child support for the next at least 18years.

• edward

You have a get out of jail free card.  Take it.  I didn’t have sex before i thought i was ready for a baby because i was never a stupid teenager who let hormones dictate my actions.  I was always careful and everything i did was a carefully calculated risk. one night stands are supposed to be NSA anyway.  So...she was my girlfriend already so we were serious but she wasn’t pregnant, just skipped her period.  Although like i said, i was ready.  However now that i’m married and seeing how angry my parents were when i got my wife pregnant...pretty sure i wouldn’t have told them back then either

• Mike

Talk to the mother about it and decide together what will be best for the child. Assuming she's of age, it's not her parents' decision to make.