Ray asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 2 months ago

Would extremely poor people benefit from reading books?

I noticed that wealthy people have library of books, hundreds of books, thousands even. Would a poor person benefit from reading books. Say you gave books to a homeless person, would that get them out?

I have 1,500 books, but I am not especially wealthy. Most are inherited and they were collected because my father contributed an index to them and was given a copy each time. What they are good for is sound insulation, and as dear Anthony Powell once said: Books do furnish a room.

It can't be just a lot of fiction books or cooking books and such. It needs to be really good books. I used to have lots of good books (that did include some cook books, very little fiction). It helped me overcome a lot and learn a lot...and I've seen others change over time that way too. A lot of changes might just be mentality till more resources are acquired.

Most poor people don't have the resources to use the knowledge and skills they can get from reading. But good reading can help them survive.

And, if they actually did read, they would probably have fewer children growing up to become homeless.

Everyone benefits from reading.  Period

• Nick

Yes, always. My grandparents learned English by reading classic fiction, and they bought a 10 volume encyclopedia secondhand so they could be smart enough to help the kids with their homework

• John

Warren Buffett would think so?

Likewise, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, and a whole multitude of super rich people.

In fact it is one of the distinguishing features of the super rich, is how much they spend their time reading?  

And the book for a homeless person, is called.

~The Richest Man in Babylon~ by George Clason.

PS read it, and if you follow just some of the tips, you will be wealthier :-))

Isn't that why we have libraries?

• Ludwig

Yes, they can read a book that will make them rich.

• Marli

Giving books to a homeless person won't get them food and shelter, but I have seen a few people who shelter in the library reading.  Some say it's an escape from troubled thoughts.  Some that it keeps nosy staff like me from bothering them. Some say that they are lifelong learners and what they are reading might be useful.

Poor people have always used the public library. It was why public libraries were started and it is why they continue to serve their communities.  The public library serves all the public, not just the middle classes. A person must show proof of residency to apply for the card that lets them borrow books. That's why homeless people can't take them out of the library, but libraries have supplied books to shelters.

That is exactly what public libraries are for.

And anyone can buy a second-hand book for a quarter of the price of a cup of coffee, in charity shops and second-hand book shops.

Many very poor people have indeed hauled themselves up out of poverty by reading.