Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

What do I do during the Pandemic if someone in the extended family dies and I am not able to attend the funeral due to restrictions ?

I would feel just awful and have a relative aged 90 who is a man so I assume at 90 will pass away in the next year or so. 

I am obsessed on this. I am the person you may remember who used to worry about Facebook Etiquette when there is a death in the family since my mother would post death notices too soon when someone would die. 

Most people understand that things like freedom of movement are pretty limited right now. So unless this person was a renowned civil rights leader it may simply be impossible to attend his funeral. Others will understand. 

What do you do? You do whatever is allowed in the circumstances existing THEN, when he actually dies; not TODAY, before he's dead.

• Edna

Just because you have a relative who is age 90, that's no reason to assume that he's going to pass away in the next year or so. My mother was 96 when she passed away; my father was 95; my grandmother was 98.

As far as restrictions on attending a funeral: I don't know what state you live in, but in my state (Texas) there are absolutely no restrictions on funerals and there are no restrictions on how many people can attend a funeral. For funeral homes here, it's still business as usual!

You're worrying in advance for no reason. Even if you relative passed away tomorrow, I can think of no "restriction", no matter where you live, that would prevent you from attending his funeral. Pandemic or not: If he dies, there's still going to be a funeral and he's still going to have to be buried or cremated. They can't keep him on ice until the pandemic ends. They're going to have a funeral service, and you can attend his funeral, if you want to. 

By the time in the distant future when your relative DOES pass away, there won't still be a pandemic. 

Spend more time with him this year.

• denise

If its 'family flowers only', I would donate to charity in their memory.

"I'm obsessed on this."  No kidding.  As I told you on several previous occasions, in light of the pandemic, there won't be a funeral due to health concerns.

not much you can do about it

Start by getting counseling for yourself.  Next, focus on connecting with your older relatives NOW.  Enjoy whatever communication you can now, rather than wait to pay your respect later.  It doesn't matter whether or not you attend a funeral -- they are dead and they don't know.  

That's the way it goes.  The pandemic has separated a great many families from their dying relatives.  They died alone, which is just one reason why this pandemic sucks.

We lost a loved one back in April during the lockdown. The person was a very close family friend. She was like a grandmother to my children & a second mother to me. Our church held a funeral blocking off every other pew. There was no hugging which was so very hard. Only about 12 people showed up but my husband made a video of the funeral for family & friends who couldn't attend. We then went to the graveyard and stood 6 feet apart as only family stood at the graveside. 

If this virus thing ever ends we plan to have a big memorial at our church for family & friends.