Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 2 months ago

When getting a dog they already have a name on their papers right? So if you want to rename them do you need to change all the documents?

What if I get the dog a passport which name should I use?

Which name to use at the vet?

You could rename the dog, but I suggest you keep the original name because it might be the only name the dog answers to

• Ocimom

If the dog has a name registered in AKC it remains as is - only the owner is changed.  You can use a nickname for the vet (what you want to call the dog).  The passport will have the dog's registered name as indicated on the registration papers.

you asking about a blooded purebred usually akc or ukc registered.

my german shorthair came with papers since his breeder registered the puppies so you can either pay the breeder to do it and he reregisters the dog (which in my opinion is the best way) or you reregister the dog yourself and pay the breedeing organisaton all fees yourself.

valuable dogs there so you want to handle everything up front oyherwise you loose lineage rights.

• Maxi

If registered with a kennel club, they have a kennel name, which is used when showing, that is not their pet name, you call the dog whatever you want

The name on the paperwork is the dogs official KC name but you call it whatever you wish as a pet name and that pet name is what will go on all the paperwork such as vets etc.  

Acall name and a kennel club name are two entirely different things... you call a dog whatever you please

• *****

You'll need to be clearer what you're asking. 

If the dog is registered with AKC or another reputable registry, once it is registered by the breeder, you can only change the registered name with consent of the breeder who produced and registered the puppy. There will also be a fee. Usually, the registered name incorporates the breeder's kennel name and aspects of the sire's and/or dam's name(s) and the breeder is unlikely to agree to change it. You can call the dog by whatever name in your home, at the vet, etc. that you would like.  

In my experience, most reputable breeders choose the AKC names for their litters and individually register their puppies, then transfer to the new owners; they don't give blank forms to be sent in anymore. People will white out kennel names and etc. given the chance. The litter my current dog is out of all have names incorporating part of the sire's name, which I imagine was required by the stud agreement. Every dog I've encountered out of the same stud has the same word in their registered name.

If you've gotten a dog from a shelter or rescue or an unregistered puppy from someone, you can call them whatever you like. You don't need to change any paperwork, just pick out a new name and use it. 

I would not worry about papers if you did not buy from a reputable breeder.  BYBed purebreds are not worth the paper it is written on.  It's just a piece of paper that means nothing for BYBed dogs.  If you had of bought from a reputable breed, that breeder would be more than happy to answer any questions.  BYBers are notorious for their lies, scams & screwing people out of their hard earned money.  Please, be sure to get this pup in to see a Vet for a wellness exam.  If at that time the Vet finds something wrong with the dog that was caused by the BYBer, you can just return the pup with in 3 days or 72 hours.  Yep, lemon law applies to the purchase of puppies, too.

Registration papers for a pure bred dog include the name given by the breeder.

These cannot be altered.

This registered name often has no use elsewhere.

The name you actually call the dog is what is used for everything except pure breed registration proof.

The common use name requires no proof and the owner is free to change it.

WHAT papers?

Vet papers?   AKC papers?

To change the name on AKC papers...  If the dog has any points, titles or registered offspring, you CANNOT change the registered name.

If there is a registered kennel name attached to the name, you need the breeder's permission to change the name.

There is a fee..  I believe it's about $25.

For vet paperwork..  Just let your vet know that the dog has a new name.

For the yearly dog license, update the info when you renew the tag