Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinancePersonal Finance · 2 months ago

Store refusing to give back deposit, what should I do?

I went into a boutique a couple days ago and picked out some items totaling around 600 dollars, I didn't have all the cash upfront because I didn't intend on spending that much in the first place and it was closing time for the store, so I was asked to leave a deposit if I wanted to come back and get them the next day, so I left $200 (I know stupid), also to mention I never got a receipt or any written confirmation. After thinking it through I had changed my mind about all the clothes and went back the next day to get my deposit back. I was refused my deposit because a supposed policy that only allowed store credit or exchange??? So instead of receiving my deposit back I was given store credit, is there anything I can do at this point? 

State of Illinois 

DUH,   without a receipt or written confirmation you are LUCKY you got a store credit.   NEVER give someone money without getting a receipt and make sure you know the policies of the store.   

Any change of mind refund would be goodwill at the discretion of the boutique.  

Completely legal and correct.

• Scott

No receipt? You have no proof you gave them anything or that they received it. This is a life lesson - learn from it.

• Maxi

No......................

• John

Read the fine print.

Of course not. You're a moron.

Never in my life have I ever heard of anyone leaving a deposit at a retail store.