Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 2 months ago

Buying a used car from a private seller that has current tags and registration until May 2021. What fees do I have to pay??

If the used car has current tags that are good until 2021 I don’t have to get new tags then right?  I am buying the car from a private seller. What fees and everything will I need to take care of at dmv??? Only registration right??? Because tags still stay with the vehicle correct? 

EDIT: I live in Arizona

WRONG! YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR NEW TAGS WHEN YOU REGISTER THE CAR IN YOUR NAME, and depending where you live you also need a smog inspection. In Arizona the tags do not go with the car. They belong to the owner who can get part of the fee refunded when the vehicle is sold. DON'T FORGET TO BRING PROOF OF INSURANCE TO THE dmv. 

When I bought my vehicle it still had a plate. Can I drive it?

No. The registration on the vehicle has expired. The previous owner should have removed the plate. Surrender the license plate to an MVD or authorized third-party office, or submit an affidavit of plate destruction (Plate Notice(link is external) form).

https://azdot.gov/motor-vehicles/faq-motor-vehicle...

Registration and sales tax.  Seller takes tags if you are not in the states where tags stay with vehicle.