YA Fantasy Adventure Novel Suggestions?

I just finished re-reading the Eragon, Ranger's Apprentice, Percy Jackson, Harry Potter, War of the Fae, and the Fablehaven series (Quarantine has hit me hard, okay?) and I'm in need of more book series to read~

I especially love books where the main protagonist has special powers/abilities, whether they know about them or not.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

For the record, I'm 28. I'm in a bit of a nostalgia binge right now which is why I'm requesting YA adventure. But any suggestions are welcome regardless of being for a younger or older audience.

• Zac Z

If you're looking for YA fantasy adventure, you might want to check out some of the classics:

- the Dragonlance Chronicles and the Dragonlance Legends trilogies by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman; there are many more Dragonlance books but these two trilogies are the starting point and often considered the best

- the Shannara novels by Terry Brooks; these are several sets of novels, usually generations apart; look here for the suggested reading order: https://terrybrooks.net/books/reading-orders/ 

- the Belgariad saga and its sequel the Malloreon saga, each a set of five novels; there are also two stand-alone in the some setting, "Belgarath the Sorcerer" and "Polgara the Sorceress" but which are best read once you know the two series

- the Time Master trilogy by Louise Cooper; this is a little known trilogy but one of my favorites; look for it, you won't regret it!

- the Riftwar saga by Raymond Feist; a sequence of connected series

- the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series by Tad Williams

All of these were huge sellers* a while ago even though they've fallen out of focus due to their age. But don't let this keep you from reading them.

They will keep you busy for quite a while.

I would disagree with MsBittner's suggestion. Not because Robin Hobb's books aren't worth reading (quite the contrary!) but because I'd think that you'll enjoy them more when you're a little older. They aren't quite YA adventure novels.

Another series you should keep in mind for later are the Earthsea books by Ursula K. Le Guin. These have some more mature themes and might not be appealing enough right now.

Also remember Guy Gavriel Kay. He's a master story teller. Most of his novels are set in fantasy settings modeled after real-life historical settings. I'd also recommend them for a little later but you might like his Fionavar trilogy already now which is the most traditional fantasy he's written.

For some reason, while I was typing, I remembered Geraldine Harris's Seven Citadels series. These are four books telling a continuous story.

ETA: I forgot to mention Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials. Worth looking for.

Also, if you've never read Susan Cooper's The Dark Is Rising series or Lloyd Alexander's Chronicles of Prydain you should change that!

* except for the Louise Cooper books which would have deserved to have been huge sellers!   ;-)

• Prince

Dune. The Darkover novels by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Roger Zelazny's classic Amber series.

The Uglies series by Scott Westerfield

Shatter Me series by  Tahereh Mafi 

Hunger Games/The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes by Suzanne Collins

I Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

The Girl Genius series by Phil and Kaja Foglio

The Finishing School series by Gail Carriger

The Midnighters trilogy by Scott Westerfeld

Obviously you're looking for the multiple trilogies by Robin Hobb. They're all set in the same world but focus on completely different characters and events. You can start with the Assassin series, which opens with "Assassin's Apprentice."

My favorite is the Live Ships trilogy.

FWIW, this is the only fantasy I've read in which I thought the dragons were worth including.

Please do yourself a favour and read the Pendragon series by DJ MacHale, it would go nicely with your collection.

It’s a combination of first person and third person, and follows the story of a boy who has to visit different planets and figure out what is driving the conflict there so he can influence events for the greater good.

Very immersive adventure and quite humorous. The language is very accessible and the descriptions aren’t too much to digest. It’s a great combination of a light read but a fun and epic adventure. Also DJ MacHale nails (and I mean absolutely NAILS) the teenage voice for his characters. 

It’s one of my all time favourite series and yet I never hear it get mentioned :(