Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 2 months ago

Is it ok to query a minor issue with your food?

like  several egg shells in the (fried) eggs. When I brought it to the attention at the counter, he just  said I need to suck it up and it won't do any harm. He then said I should have ordered scrambled eggs if I was concerned. I just let it go, but what was correct response and was I being unreasonable (I was not rude at all, just pointed out there were shell bits in my eggs) 

• denise

Yes its Ok, you've paid for that meal, your'e the customer, Its awful when your teeth clunk down on some shell!. If he'd been a good 'assistant' he should have apologised, and offered a discount or a replacement.

What he did is not good customer relations,  he could loose business.

As the customer, you can query something that concerns you.  Fried eggs do not come with egg shells and so, it makes sense you would speak up.  If you are faced with this situation again, speak with the Manager/Supervisor.

• G R

I would have said F U, speak to the manager and or leave and not pay

It's certainly okay to query it as you're paying for it therefore you should be entitled to it. But if you can live with it, you shouldn't bother. I personally find eggshells in my food unbearable to eat, so I would have asked for a new dish. The guy at the counter was likely making minimum wage and was too busy to deal with something so small, so if you can live with it it's best to just leave it. I'm a minimum wage worker at a golf course and I try my best to make sure that everyone is satisfied, but when somebody starts complaining about something insignificant/something I have no control over, I become mentally drained real fast.

Sure its OK to query it, you are the customer so you are entitled to get what you paid for.

On the other hand the guy behind the counter is probably very busy and not expected to be enthusiastic about doing something you could easily do for yourself in 10 seconds when he is getting minimum wage.

If you dont like the service you can just not go back there, its best not to upset these people with such minor issues, you dont want them to spit in your food (or worse)