Playing on PS4 PRO External Storage?

Hi! I have my PS4 PRO and planning to buy an external drive. Does playing on the external storage decrease the loading speed/ performance etc. of games? PS4 PRO uses SATA 3.0 which is i think around 5 or 6 gigabits/sec and most of the external drive is USB 3.0 which is below the SATA 3 speed.

Im having trouble choosing between the Seagate Game Drive 4TB which uses USB 3.0 and WD My Passport 4TB which has two versions ( USB 3.0 or USB 3.2 Gen 1)

Thank you in advance.

" PS4 PRO uses SATA 3.0 which is i think around 5 or 6 gigabits/sec "

That's the theoretical max transfer speed of the specification.  That does not mean that the mechanical laptop hard drive in the PS4 is capable of that kind of speed. In fact. I would guess that the hard drive in the PS4  tops out at around 120-160ish MB/S.  

The same holds true for USB 3.0. , the specification maxes out at 5 Gb/s however no mechanical hard drive will transfer data that fast.. So the real-world speed between internal storage on the PS4 and a USB 3.0 external drive is going to be about the same. If you were using an SSD, then it would matter. 

USB 3.0 and USB 3.2 Gen1 both have the same specification for transfer rate. So that doesn't matter. 

• ?

if you don't use an SSD, it will be much slower than the internal storage.