Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Is it ok for family to tell you what to do and boss you around all the time if you don’t live with them? ?

I am nearly 30 years old and I live alone but my brother and sister in law keep telling me what to do like i’m 3 years old.  They never take my feelings into consideration and when I do or say something they don’t like or doesn’t fit their standards, they become controlling and verbally abusive and if I have different opinions and beliefs to to them, they get aggressive and judgemental but.i never judge them for their views.  Can they do that or is it considered emotional abuse? 

i dont think so

• Tj

They have no rights to tell you what to do. When they start, go off on them, when they start, and tell them to stay out of your life, the cut them out if your life.  Stay away from them.I cut out my 3 siblings for getting into my life, for the past 20 years, and I do not miss them at all, I have never been happier. You have man berries, Use them.

I can't really say whether you are being "emotionally abused" or not, without learning much more about your situation. However, as an adult, you do have choices and can avoid them, if you choose to do so. It does take two to tango, so if you don't like how they treat you, or their responses, don't give them ammunition by spending time with them, talking with them, sharing information about yourself or your life. Voila, end of story. 

It's called, "you've put up with it for too long".The old adage that people treat you just about the way you let them.. is largely true. I guess you're very close but you could use a little distance.