leaving food out vs putting it in fridge?

are you supposed to put leftover food such as pizza, burgers etc. in the fridge? or can you leave it out? or is it just a matter of personal preference? ive always put it up but my aunt leaves her leftovers out.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favourite answer

Everyone does as they see fit, but leaving food out can be a gamble with food poisoning. MOST cooked food will be ok for overnight, but there is no need to take a chance. Refrigerate it then you know it is safe.

• 2 months ago

You leave it to cool to room temperature, then put it in the fridge. 

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Since bacteria begins to form on food left out, reaching a temperature of over 40 degrees (40-70 is the Danger zone) grandma is playing a game with food born illness. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

There’s NOTHING magical about a refrigerator. All it does is keep food cool. Many foods last longer if they are kept cool. A fridge is just one way of keeping food cool.

When I was a child no one had a fridge and yet we still ate and drank the same types of food - meat, fish, dairy products etc. 

There is NOTHING at all wrong is leaving the foods you mention “out” providing they are kept cool or they are not left “out” for long. If you go to a buffet you might find pizza, chicken legs etc. These are “left out” for some considerable time.

I have a friend who has a north-facing conservatory (glass walls and roof) which is generally colder in the winter than her fridge. WhenI was a child, bottles of milk often froze whilst on the door step.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.