If you write letter(s) to your child, when do you give it to them..?

Like do you let them see it when they’re younger, so they’re learning to read and can read about your love for them? Or when they’re becoming a young adult and moving out, or later in life when they’re becoming a parent themselves...? 

Just thinking about the future.. 

I think I'd probably let the letters accrue until the child reaches a milestone marking adulthood, like finished college, having a child of their own, or turning 21.

I suspect the letters won't be fully appreciated until the kid's pretty much fully grown up, including emotionally.

You wouldn't use letters, of course, to show your younger child how deeply you love them. They're right there. You say it and show it.

• Marli

Usually parents write those letters at the significant time in their shared lives and give it to them then.  Those times are significant for the parents too: realizing their children are a year older, have accomplished a task or a goal, are maturing, have encountered a "bad patch" in their lives (disappointment, a long term illness, loss)