I filled out my W-4 wrong, put $2730 not $273 and my employer withheld that amount & won't fix. IRS said they should. I don't owe taxes.?

[Be honest. Is this a homework problem? You did not include much personal or background info. People who do not owe taxes do not ask for any extra $ to be withheld.  You are a 0/0. Also, the IRS rarely responds so quickly, and I do not believe they gave that answer.]  Do a rough estimate of what your 2020 tax liability will be, and then submit a new W-4 claiming as many deductions (yes, I am old school) as needed to have the appropriate amount of tax withheld every payday to come out close next April 15. Accountant with decades of experience.

• L

Ask your employer for another W-4 and fill it out the correct way this time.  An employer deducts according to the way you fill out your W-4................it is NOT their fault or responsibility to fix..........it is YOUR responsibility to fill out another W-4.

Submit a new W-4 to your employer.

If your W4 said withhold it, and they did and they already remitted it to the IRS, then they cannot get it back.  You get it back when you file.  Give them a new W4 that is correct.  This is YOUR error.

You will get a tax refund at the end of the year.

The IRS doesn't care.  As it was your error, employer won't fix it.

Review the W-4 and set it so $0 is withheld for future paychecks this year.  The rest will be refunded when you file.