Is it a mistake to eliminate all landline telephones ??

Cell phones are great but I still think landline are more reliable.  If a natural disaster, a real war breaks out, if I am stuck some place where phone has no signal, dead, broke or misplaced.  Not everyone wants or has a phone.  I think in ten years landline probably be gone which I think is a mistake.

Two years ago, I had a tornado come down my street, and one effect was no power for a duration of 81 hours.

My cordless phones didn't work due to the lack of power, and my cell phone was only kept alive by a nearby church that set up a generator which fed several power bars, from which they let neighbors plug in devices to recharge them.

In all that, my wired landline phones all worked 100%.

I have a landline and I closed my cell phone 

Ask the people who were at the World Trade Center bombing. There cell phones were USELESS. Once they walked across the Brooklyn or other bridge, they could use a land line in a store or someplace else to call friends and loved ones. So just wanted to say I made it out and WILL be home. If you're old or handicapped you're probably eligible for a Life Line phone. These are usually cost less than $10 a month. Some people may not know how to use this phone!!!  

Source(s): Real life experience...

I've always hated landlines even before mobiles were invented. You can't block anyone easily. You can't reject the call. You feel so vulnerable. Good riddance to those things. The only people who will suffer are cons and telemarketers.

Landlines are disappearing everywhere. It's more convenient to own a cell phone. There are so many plans you can get that it's not always more expensive. And they go WITH you--number and all--no matter where you live or what services are available. We're all moving to cell service now--and it just makes more sense not to worry about land lines at all. 

Landlines rely on physical wiring.  Cut the wiring, no landline.  At least with cellphones as long as there's a tower, you could at least hope to get a text out.

I kept my landline in case we had no cell service and had to call 911, we could.  But the $30 a month fee to keep the landline, including getting spam calls 5 to 6 times a day, just wasn't worth it, so we got rid of it.  It was nice having, like if I misplaced my phone at home, if no one else was here, I could call it to find it.

• F

What will they do in horror films? Always a sign of doom when the phone line is cut. Can’t get a signal is much less dramatic !  

• garry

i use my cell phone only , landlines based are a waste of money seeing you have the landline connected , cell phone are cheap now and the calls have fallen , where else can you call the east coast from the west coast unlimited and cost you the same as a local call.

The government will always have them. When they give them up, that might mean a better technology is available.

• P

They won't ever be eliminated in the practical sense.  If you want one you will be able to get it.   All the telecom lines are being setup for digital use which can be used for both "landlines" and more commonly internet access.