Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingPregnancy · 2 months ago

can I give birth at home alone ?

I don’t want to go to hospital or get any help froM anyone when I give birth. I’ve had a low risk pregnancy and I’m 20 years old. I don’t want help or nothing from anyone. What do you think? Is this possible? (Uk)

Legally yes. A birth partner cannot act in the capacity of a midwife or doctor though obviously. Commonly used term is 'freebirth' - you can google this but just beware of what you read and who you listen to. Also look up Dr. Amy Tutuer's website - she is an OBGYN from the USA who provides a counter-arguement. 

You need to be aware of the risks - no pregnancy or birth is risk free. Without monitoring the baby's heart rate, we do not know how they are coping with labour and whether they are getting distressed - this can result in lifelong brain damage or death to the baby. Obstetric emergencies include cord prolapse and shoulder dystocia, both life threatening to the baby and needing immediate action from trained and experienced doctors and midwives, and maternal haemorrhage which would need immediate medical attention. 

You may perceive these risks to be small - however the outcomes are catastrophic. 

Ultimately it is your choice and you need to accept full responsibility for your decisions, whatever the outcome. All the best. 

Yes.

Neither of our girls would have survived if I had been home alone when I gave birth to them, but if you don't mind that risk for your child or for yourself if you start bleeding, if the baby is breech, etc., go for it. 

• Rick

I'd advise against it ...............................

i guess i though about that but i got scared....wish i could find a patch of grass

• GB

What you are planning is quite normal - for trolls.

Stop being selfish. Giving birth is for the baby and not for you. You are willing to put a babies life at risk for your own comfort.

• Lili

Women have done it, but normally only because they couldn't manage to get to a hospital in time, not because they planned to.  You simply cannot predict what complications might result. And do you know what to do after the birth?  With the umbilical cord and regarding delivering the placenta?

You'd also need to get to a hospital afterwards to have both yourself and the baby checked over, to ensure you both were medically OK, and possibly to get a birth certificate issued.  I don't know whether UK registrars confirm births with hospitals or midwives (if the birth took place at home) or not.

• Alan H

You can.    But would be foolish were you to do so.   There can never be a guaranteed safe delivery

• edward

I mean...yes, in theory you could but then again...an asteroid could also fall on your house that day and kill you

You're going to need help. 

I dont know if home births are back now because the NHS stopped them due to covid. You should ask your midwife or GP. Alternatively you can go private. Then you can have whatever you want. Again being alone isnt the best idea. Do you know how to deliver a baby?