Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 1 month ago

Wouldn’t you agree that my health insurance is garbage ?

So basically you have to reach $3000 in medical expenses in order for the insurance to kick in and it resets every year. 

So any doctor appointments, hospital visits, etc will not be paid for until I spent up to $3000 total. So if I have an emergency and i’m met with expensive hospital bills I’ll have to pay up to $3000 or whatever is left of my deductible and after I reach the $3000 I will have to cover 30 percent of my the medical bills

So pretty you’re pretty much better off dying than going to the hospital 

People don't lose a home for a $3,000 bill.  That's not the point of insurance.  You could purchase either a lower deductible or get an accident and hospital/surgical plan to offset some of those costs.  I have a client with a $2,000 deductible WITH a separate accident plan.  She ended up in the ICU for two weeks from an accident.  Her accident paid her about $13,000 (give or take)...so she paid her deductible and had money left over.

Your plan isn't garbage, you're just not done setting it up properly.  Plus if it were an HSA, you put $3,000 in an HSA and you save $1000-$1500 right now in taxes whether you use it or not.

Lastly...I think I'd pay $3,000 to not die. Silly analogy.

• car253

You get 3 reduced rate doctor visits a year.   And, you get one free physical a year.   Call your health insurance plan and ask.   What plan do you have ? what state?

You get to switch your plan to a better plan once a year in December.   So, in December find a local insurance broker to shop plans for you.   Don't do it yourself.   They get paid from the plan, not from you.  use an insurance broker or agent.

• n2mama

I’m guessing your monthly insurance premium is fairly low with a deductible of that amount. I have a deductible of $950, then insurance pays 80% of approved expenses until I reach the out of pocket maximum (which for me is $2450), then it pays 100% of approved expenses. And considering I had a medical emergency that put me in the hospital for a week, had two surgeries, three different specialists, a slew of blood tests, imaging, and medications, I’m certain to hit all those numbers. But I’d still rather that than be dead.

Basically, you really don't know how your insurance works.

If you go to an in-network doctor, you will get the in-network rate for all treatment.

You still have to pay $3000 before the insurance pays for most things.

But the $3000, is likely to be $4500 or more in medical bills if you didn't have insurance.After you reach the $3000, you have to pay 30% of the cost until you meet your annual out of pocket maximum.  You haven't told us what that is; federal law in 2020 doesn't allow it to exceed $8,150. 

The hospitals will work with you on a payment plan.

If you are low income, you will also be eligible for charity care. 

No.  That's actually really good insurance.  With many insurance plans, it's more like $10,000.

• Judy

You could get better insurance, but it costs more.  Your call.

You get the level of coverage you pay for.  You can get the deductible down to zero with 0% co-insurance if you pay much higher monthly premiums.  Nobody should expect to pay nothing for their medical (even on universal healthcare).  It comes down to *when* you pay.  Personally, I like paying as you go with a cap as opposed to paying monthly and never using it.

--edit--

If a $3k hospital bill once a year is breaking you, then you have bigger issues than not understanding how insurance works.  (not just health insurance, but all insurance.)

Yours is a lot better than mine. Mine is like $7400.

I could pay $7000 a year to have a lot better insurance. Which is better?