How can I connect a wire system to a controller circuit board?

So I had a project in mind in which I had to First test it out before wasting money. The test project requires me to press a button from a controller but using a different method than just pushing down the button. So I was wondering if there was a way to connect wires to a controller circuit board to tell the controller that the button was pushed. If so, please explain how.

Open the unit. Find the button which must be pushed.

Find the contacts which are shorted together when the button is pushed. Solder wires to each one and bring them out od the unit.

shorting those wires together is the same as pushing the button.

Use another button across them or use a relay to close them or... use any method you want to short them together.

A "button" in an electrical circuit is normally just a switch that either connects or breaks the circuit while it is pressed.

Simply connecting the wires together momentarily (or disconnecting them temporarily from a normally closed contact) does the same thing.

The "button" could also be replaced by an optical switch, PIR sensor, pressure mat, proximity sensor, RFID card sensor and many other alternate triggering / switching devices.

Do not!!! mess around with anything connected to high voltages (anything over 24V or so) unless you know exactly what you are doing and have taken all appropriate safety measures!

Run things off batteries or a low voltage "wall wart" power supply while experimenting. It's far safer and less painful - to you or those you may leave behind...